Monday, January 11, 2016

Reading to Elderly and Memory Impaired Seniors

A writing friend of mine recently posted about reading aloud to the elderly.  Please see Beth’s 3 part series via this link: http://www.bethstilborn.com/how-to-read-aloud-to-the-elderly-part-three-in-the-series/    (see parts 1 & 2 at the end of her post)  

As you can tell working with memory impaired seniors is very important to me.  Creative arts are key!  I continue to teach & facilitate the Memories in the Making Painting with seniors program weekly.  We have recently added coloring with markers.  They love focusing on their pieces and for more than an hour!  I absolutely love being with the artists in my class!   Music plays a huge role too!

I am really excited to add reading aloud to small groups of seniors.  After arting at a facility for over 1.4 years now, most of the residents know me so I think at least a few will be inclined to gather around for a story.  I will keep it to 20 minutes or so and I will use meaningful, upbeat stories from the Chicken Soup series and from a Heart series I have enjoyed.

Do you have experience with creative arts, music or reading with seniors and memory impaired seniors?  Please do share with us in the comments below.

Wishing you all the very best, as always, deborah

3 comments:

  1. Lovely to read about your plans to also read to seniors. It's great work that you do, Deborah.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What you are doing is really wonderful and precious. My Mum has dementia and it's the moments that count. The joy on the faces of aged care residents when interacting with others is just awesome. As we grow older, the inner child emerges more and more. Keep up the great work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm delighted that you're expanding your arts with seniors work (which is wonderful) to reading with them, as well. And thanks for sharing my series! All best to you.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...